Sunday, June 9, 2013

Lily's Check Up and Details of Her Birthday

Lily Ryan Husmann at 20 weeks
This past Friday, Lily and I went to see Dr. Bray, the doctor who delivered Logan. Lily is 31 weeks and going strong. Dr. Bray said that she will probably be more average-sized than Logan, which may make the surgery easier, especially if she is also breech. Logan was 8 lbs 12 oz, but she thinks Lily will be closer to 7.5 lbs. Its a bit early to tell, but my gut feeling is that she will also be breech. I feel a big lump just below my rib cage just like I did with Logan (this would be her head). Could also be her little bottom but I think I might just be a woman who has babies upside down. Thank God for medical technology that makes breech births no big deal. We are so blessed to live in a time when a breech baby just means a C-section, and isn't life threatening. The actual statistics show that vaginal breech deliveries turn out okay 95% of the time (not a horrible number), which I thought was kind of interesting. But obviously no one wants to gamble on that 5% in modern times.


Dr. Caryn Bray (green) and me before Logan's birth


I really like my OB-GYN group. I go to Women's Care Florida, next to Florida Hospital Tampa. Since I was just there with Logan, I know all the doctors, nursing staff and office staff and they all know me. There have been a few times when I have come in with scary symptoms (once late on a Friday afternoon) with no appointment and they have shifted around other patients and stayed late to squeeze me in so that I wouldn't go home not knowing whether the baby was okay. One of our favorite staff members is Monique, the sonographer. We have seen her a lot (more than the average patient) and she has been there for some very special and unforgettable moments in our lives. When I thought something was wrong with Logan, she is the one who told us that his heart was beating away and nothing appeared out of place in my belly. I think all three of us cried that day. We always try to schedule a sonogram for when she is scheduled to work because both Ryan and I like her.

Dr. Young (left) and Dr. Bray (right) delivering Logan
Dr. Bray and Dr. Young are my two favorite doctors. They are the doctors who delivered Logan. When you have a C-section, you have two surgeons present in the OR, one is the head surgeon and one assists. In both my deliveries, Dr. Bray will be the head surgeon and Dr. Young will assist. They are calm, even-keeled and deliberate in everything they do. They are straight-forward and understanding, and they always spend extra time making sure I have no other questions at every visit. I really appreciate the great doctors at this practice and the incredible staff.

We have scheduled Lily's birth for Thursday, August 1, at 7:30 am. Ryan and I are scheduled to arrive at 5:30 am for pre-op. We are so excited to meet our daughter and introduce her to Logan. When I think about holding the two of them in my arms I am just overwhelmed with happiness and love. We are truly blessed family.

We have other big news but its still in the works and I will post about it next time.

No comments:

Post a Comment