Tuesday, August 6, 2013

Lily's Birth Story

I am at this very moment sitting in our new house (more on that very soon!) with my new baby wrapped snuggly up against me (we are HUGE fans of the Moby Wrap around here), enjoying all the richness and newness of this next chapter of our lives, which began on a very humid morning, six short days ago . . .
 
Lily and me at the time of this blog post
 
Last photo taken pregnant, at exactly 39 weeks.
 Thursday, August 1, 2013, 4:50 am. Ryan and I are set and ready to go from Mom and Dad's house in Tampa. We spent the night because they live close to Florida Hospital Tampa, and dropping Logan off there so early in the morning would have required leaving our home at about 4:00 am.







8:20 am: Lily Ryan Husmann takes her first breath, entering the world, at 7 lbs, 8 oz, and 20 inches long. Her cry is so loud and so robust that she sounds to my ears like a little pig squealing from across the operating room. This is what Virginia Apgar would call a "lusty cry." Little Lily earns a 9.9 on the Apgar Scale, 0.9 higher than her big brother did nineteen months ago.

 
 
8:30 am: I meet Lily for the first time.  Blessing of blessings, I am actually able to hold her and look at her, which I missed during my surgery with Logan's delivery because I was so weak from the anesthesia. This birth experience was so much better than Logan's delivery, which I can hardly remember.  I was not able to breastfeed Lily on the operating table and I give kudos to any woman who is able to pull off that little feat because I struggled just to keep my arms around her as I was being sewn up behind the big blue curtain.



Dr. Bray holding Lily at the end of the surgery.
Breastfeeding Lily for the first time.


9:00 am: We are in wheeled back into the recovery room (still on the labor and delivery floor), where we stay for a few hours to make sure all our vitals are good. I get to breastfeed Lily at last, and she nurses for almost 90 minutes without stopping. One thing she and big brother have in common, a love of good food!




9:30 am: Logan arrives and meets his little sister for the first time. There are no words for the explosive joy and warmth this moment brought to Ryan and me.

Logan, meet Lily!


Logan could not get his hands off his little sister from the very beginning and
kept trying to climb up the side rail to get a better look at her.

I am in love with her beautiful dark gray eyes and messy tangles of jet black hair.
 11:00 am: We are all rolled down to the Mom-Baby floor and Lily gets her first bath from the nurse. She must stay in the baby warmer for 20 minutes after the bath, but this does not keep Daddy from covering her with kisses while we wait for her to return to our anxious arms

Daddy giving lots of kisses to Baby Lily as she warms up in the baby warmer after her very first bath.
We have been so richly blessed by this birth experience, and have really come to embrace the peace of knowing that all of our children will be born in the same way, by C-section at 39 weeks. We love that this is our story. True, it was handed to us by events beyond our control, but we have surrendered and made it our very own, and by doing so have come to cherish the special way we bring our children into the world.

I will be posting more photos of the rest of our hospital stay and our first few days at home very soon.

Trust in the Lord with all your heart,
Lean not on your own understanding.
In all your ways acknowledge Him,
And He will make your path straight.
Prov. 3:5-6

1 comment:

  1. What a joy to relive these special moments!Grandpa and Memere are so very much in love with this little bundle of joy!

    ReplyDelete